Although we enjoyed our time in Naples…
… No, not that Naples (although we have been there)… It’s nice to be at San Marco.
No, not that San Marco (although we’ve also been here as well)… but Marco Island, named “San Marco” by the Spanish Explorers after one of the Gospel writers, St. Mark the Evangelist.
Today was hectic. We awoke this morning to have a quick breakfast before a busy day of boat work and preparations to leave Beatitude for eleven days. After returning the laundry room key – and “room” is a slight misnomer as it was a closet behind a door with a stacked washer and dryer – I made arrangements to have a marine air-conditioning repairman to come at 2 pm to repair our salon AC which has not been cooling well since just before we left Regatta Pointe.
We were picked up in a driving rain storm by the Hertz Rental Car guy and taken to the Hertz office in Marco Island. The 10 to 15 minutes of rain for the entire day just happened to coincide with the moment that we had to walk to the front of the marina. Soaking wet after the trek to the pickup-car from our slip, we were given a red Dodge Avenger to drive for the next couple of weeks. We then paid a visit to that great money vacuum called West Marine to pick up some line for boat fenders and also for line to raise and lower our dinghy on its davits. One of the existing lines twists so tightly that we are only able to raise it only with great difficulty. From West Marine, we paid a lunchtime visit to McDonald’s, mainly for the wifi.
I also realized, just last night, that our boat insurance expired yesterday. So, I called our agent, who had been trying to contact me but had the wrong number, and arranged for continued insurance. That meant that today I had paperwork to do and questionnaires to answer. One must have a “named-storm” plan written out in great detail to be insured if a named storm causes yacht damage.
Shortly after 2 pm, the air conditioning guys showed up and discovered the salon AC unit has a freon leak. It had lost about half of its freon, which they replenished. They give me a quote on replacing it, around $2200.00. I will likely wait and see how slow or fast the leak is. It may last me for several months. We’ll see. After they were finished, I replaced the two lines on the dinghy davits and placed extra fenders along the starboard side between Beatitude and the floating dock. I then placed additional lines for added security.
After a victory over Cindy in “Shut the Box,” we drove to Pelican Bend Restaurant on the Isle of Capri…
… No, not that Isle of Capri (although we’ve also been here). The restaurant was a little place off the beaten path, recommended to us by our friends, Roger and Carey. The food was good and reasonable priced, and we were stuffed after our dinner. Once we returned home, I took care of some financial/business items while Cindy packed for our upcoming trip to Lakeland.