Well, we thought we would head northward today. But, we were wrong. The guys from North Sail Charleston did not make it yesterday, but finally showed up around noon today to install the repaired sail and the new “quick-cover.” They did not finish until around 3 p.m., so our departure from the Holy City was delayed for another day.
However, we do now have a mainsail once again, and a nice new stack-pack to protect and hold it when not in use. Our old one had rips and tears with considerable UV damage and dry rot. As mentioned in the last post, we also have a couple of other “improvements” of which Cindy was unaware. First of all, I sent all the covers for our cushions in the cockpit and on the front deck out to a canvas shop for repair. Many of the snaps had broken off. They are now repaired and in place. I also bought a portable air-conditioner for the salon. You may recall we have three built-in marine AC units on Beatitude: One for each hull and one for the salon. The unit for the salon hasn’t worked in about a year. A compressor needs replacing at the cost of about two to three thousand dollars. I’ve balked at that price for months, but the heat has been so oppressive that I bought a portable unit for about $300.00. It works better than the built-in marine unit. Now, of course, we can only use this went hooked up to shore power in a marina (as we are now) or if we run the generator. So, it will be of limited assistance for the next week or two.
The upside to our one-day departure delay is that we were able to do a few more errands (with the use of Megan Argabright’s car) and were able to meet up with Justin and Shera for dinner one more time before we go. We’ll probably pass through Charleston again in the fall on our way to the Caribbean. That means we’ll have something to look forward to as we move southward through the Carolinas again.