We entered Charleston with a checklist of tasks to be performed: 1) Repair generator 2) Repair watermaker 3) Replace reefing lines 4) Repair mainsail 5) Replace stack-pack 6) Install wifi booster 7) Replace one of the starboard side heads with an electric head 8) Various other odds and ends.
I’m happy to report that those tasks are well on their way to being completed. I mentioned previously that our mainsail is in the sail loft being repaired. Our new stack-pack (“Quick Cover” by North Sails) is being made. Our water maker has been repaired (although we don’t want to test it until we get in some less polluted water). A mounting pole has been ordered for our wifi booster, and installation is arranged. Thursday morning, I caught the free marina trolley to the local West Marine to buy reefing lines, a waste outlet hose for the electric toilet which is already partly installed, and a new Racor filter for the generator. Cindy did laundry while I was making the West Marine run. When we had had brunch, I removed the old Racor filter for the generator and replaced it with the new one. After a few priming attempts it still wouldn’t start, but this time I got a new error message – there was a problem with the battery. So, I tightened the battery cables which seemed a little loose, and… Voila! The generator started, and… continued to run!
Cindy and I then climbed up on the bimini roof to replace the reefing lines for the first and second reefs. The first reefing line snapped on the trip back from the Bahamas. The second one had chafed through to the point of almost snapping. After spending over $300.00 in lines at West Marine, we were ready to install. Unfortunately, the first line had snapped and went into the boom, so I had to run a snake through the boom, tie rolling hitches to the line and pull it through. Things went pretty well, except I pulled the line through on the wrong side of the roller the first time and had to redo it. Putting it on the other side of the roller was much more difficult (which is probably why I did it the other way first!), but we eventually accomplished the task. The other reefing line was not as difficult as it had not chafed through completely. We tied and taped the two lines together and simply pulled the new one through where the old one was. ¡No Problema! The rest of the evening was a relaxing one aboard Beatitude. Cindy made her world-famous spaghetti for dinner, which we paired with a luscious Rioja wine. It was a productive day.
On Friday, we picked up our rental car, a 2015 Jeep Compass, around 11:30. Sandwiched between lunch and dinner (no pun intended), we did some shopping. I gave West Marine more of my money and we also stopped at Sam’s Club. Shera, our Charleston friend, called and said she made some tiramisu just for us, so we stopped by her house for a few minutes in the afternoon. Did I mention, I love tiramisu?! It was wonderful. (She even made the ladyfingers from scratch). For dinner, we ate at Vickery’s on Shem Creek, which flows through the heart of Mt. Pleasant. The food was good, and the view was better.
When we returned to Beatitude, I found out that the replacement winch-switch arrived. So, I replaced the malfunctioning switch with the new one. And, again, success! I’m beginning to feel a little more comfortable with maintenance and reparations on our floating home. Thankfully. Although, having said that, I’m likely to be humbled soon. The rest of the evening was spent packing and preparing for a week away from Charleston. Yesterday morning, we left in our rental car for the outer banks to spend a week with our oldest daughter and other family. We are excited to spend time with them. Cindy will then go on to see her mother in Ohio, while I return to Beatitude to finish up the planned boat work. Then, around two weeks from now, we will say good-bye to Charleston, and continue our trek northward.