On Saturday morning, with three hours of sleep under our belts, we boarded the plane in Daytona Beach to return to Beatitude in Charleston. The previous five days had been a whirlwind of multiple shifts in the emergency department, sandwiched around a year’s worth of Dr’s appointments in one day for me. And — for Cindy — it had been a whirlwind of driving back and forth to Lakeland and Orlando to visit with good friends from our previous life on land. But now, it is good to be back on Beatitude.
Shortly after returning to our beloved catamaran, Justin picked us up to take us to his and Shera’s home to watch the Georgia-Florida game (don’t ask!) and for dinner. Dinner was a fun and new experience for me and Cindy. Shera steamed some South Carolina oysters for our dining pleasure and made some Frogmore Stew, a.k.a. Low-Country Boil, which consists of fresh shrimp, smoked sausage, corn on the cob, and potatoes. The Stew was delicious! The whole oyster experience was pretty cool as well. We were provided with oyster knives with which we were expected to crack open the oysters and extract the meat. The meat was placed on a Saltine cracker along with some cocktail sauce or Texas Pete hot sauce. I thought it was really good! Cindy accepted the challenge pretty well, but quickly moved on to the stew from the oysters.
On Sunday, we took advantage of the extra hour of sleep (thanks to the time change) to catch up on the sleep we missed the night before. For morning worship, we once again were treated to a heavenly service at St. Phillips in downtown Charleston. Then, for lunch, we had Chinese with Justin and Shera at P.F. Chang’s.
Today, was a day of preparation for the continuation of our journey southward. Shera was kind enough to let us borrow her vehicle for the day to run some errands which included the post-office, propane tank refilling, laundry washing, food and supply shopping, and who knows what else? Tomorrow morning, as the skies begin to lighten, we plan to pull out of Charleston Harbor with Miami in our sights. If the weather holds out, we may make the trip in one giant leap down the coast. I estimate we would arrive in Miami sometime on Friday evening if all goes well. However, we will be prepared for contingencies and ready to duck inside along the way if needed. Once in Miami, we’ll look for the first weather window to cross the Gulf Stream into the Bahamas. It’s good to be moving once again.