Cindy flew out of the Georgetown, Exumas airport two days prior to Thanksgiving to visit with Family in Ohio while I was scheduled to work. She left before I did so that she could spend her birthday (11/25) and Thanksgiving (11/26) at home. Then, I flew from Georgetown to Daytona Beach on Thanksgiving in anticipation of four 12-hour shifts in the emergency department at Halifax Health Medical Center.
On Wednesday, I joined my wife for a brief visit in Ohio. It was great to be with her and family. Yesterday, she and I drove to New Castle, PA to have dinner with our daughters, Julie and Mariah. Then, this morning, bright and early, I boarded the plane in Cleveland for Portland, Maine. I’m here until this coming Thursday, December 10th, doing five shifts in the emergency department at Southern Maine Medical Center.
I’m very thankful for the opportunity I have to fly in and out of the country to work as needed. When I resigned from Lakeland Regional Medical Center, where I had practiced full-time for 12 years, and embarked on this new path of part-time locums tenens work, I was unsure how well it would go. Now, eight months later, I can say it’s working just fine.
I can’t wait to return to Beatitude to continue our cruising adventures. Before we left, we had at least three consecutive days of steady 25-30 knot winds with much higher gusts. Although we were tied to the dock, the marina is subject to a lot of surge from the open water just outside the marina’s harbor. Beatitude weaved and bobbed in her slip with a significant amount of movement. This put a lot of strain on our lines. In fact, two of our dock lines chafed through a couple of days before we left. Since the strong winds were still in force on the day of my departure, and we would leave our home alone for two weeks, I was quite concerned. So, I put out a lot of extra lines. I had nine lines out just on the starboard side (the side subject to most of the stress on the lines). I haven’t heard from the marina, so I assume they’ve held just fine. Fortunately, the winds subsided a few days ago and are supposed to stay relatively calm for the next week.
The next update will likely come after we return to our vessel on December 10th. By the time we leave her again during the first week of January, we will likely be in the Turks and Caicos, if not further south.