Hebrews 6:12 admonished us to “be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” Time and again, the Proverbs warn us of the hazards of slothfulness. That’s all well and good… unless you happen to a sloth, in which case it is not only perfectly acceptable to be slothful, but even admirable.
My ramblings on about slothfulness is prompted by additional sloth sightings in the Panamanian jungle. We had only seen a sloth on one other occasion until recently, when on two consecutive days we spotted our sluggish, furry friends. We look forward to our daily two-mile hikes into the jungle where we come face-to-face with some of God’s most interesting creatures. What follows are numerous photos of our jungle adventures:
We spent ten days at the end of February in the states: Cindy, once again in Ohio, and I splitting my time in the emergency departments of Indian River Medical Center in Vero Beach, FL and Bellin Health in Green Bay, WI. Green Bay was kind enough to order a snow and ice storm on the night of my arrival. I survived, and we returned to Panama on February 28th.
Since then, I’ve been fighting the temptation to be slothful. Boat work has been slowly progressing. The fuel pump and raw water pressure switch were installed on the generator, but it still would not start. Finally, we pulled out the printed circuit control board and found that it was fried. More parts are now needed from the States in order to attempt further repairs. We’ve been waiting for all of the additional electronics parts to come in for those to be replaced. The order was complete on Friday, so one day this next week, Radio Holland will return to finish up the electronics.
If the electronics are completed and functioning, we then have a decision to make. If our insurance will approve the final repairs on the generator to take place back in the U.S., we could leave Panama as early as next weekend. It looks like a weather window will open up on Saturday or Sunday and last a few days. (Right now, the western Caribbean has gale force winds and 12 foot seas!). So, we could possibly be out of Shelter Bay in a week or so. However, if the electronics are not complete, or the weather window doesn’t materialize, or the insurance company does not approve our departure, we will have to wait until the second week of April (at the earliest) to leave (due to my work schedule).
The next blog will contain an update on our plans.